• question-icon

Is Adderall safe to have for lack of concentration?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in ADHD
Question: I am curious how I might address some issues with concentration that I have been experiencing. A friend recommended that I inquire about Adderall to help me stay focused through my work day. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is to be used only on psychiatric prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Inattention or lack of concentration can be due to many reasons and does not inherently mean that you have ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Adderal is a medication that helps in controlling hyperativity and the resultant inattention in ADHD patients. It is a prescription medicine and should be used only under prescription of a psychiatrist (not even a general physician). Therefore it should not be used before proper evaluation. Taking Adderal cannot ensure that you would regain focus. Rather, there are certain therapies that a psychiatrist can guide you with, which will help you regain proper attention.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician