Irritable sensation on the tongue. Poor perception of smell and taste. Had gene testing for IBS. Diagnosed with coeliac predisposition. Are these related?

Posted on Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I have a very irratable sensation towards the tip of my tongue and my bottom lip keeps sticking to my lower gum area. It isn't too bad in the morning however, as the day progresses, it gets worse. My taste and smell are not great either. Recently I have changed my diet to gluten free after having gene testing for IBS symptoms and GP told me I have coeliac predisposition. Could this be related? I have been using betadine mouth washes 3 x daily with little effect. Thank you for any advice.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later

According to the symptoms told by you one possibility is Myasthenia gravis.

The reasons to think so are,

1. You are having celiac predisposition, both myasthenia and celiac disease are autoimmune diseases. And celiac disease is having the property of leading to other autoimmune diseases by gut leaking mechanism.

2. One more thing you told your symptoms are getting worse when the day progresses, it is known in myasthenia as symptoms became worse with increasing activity and decreases with rest.

3. Your decreased taste could be attributed to difficulty of chewing noticed in myasthenia.
By mouth wash these symptoms will not go, now what you have to do is consult local neurologist and undergo tests like blood test for acetylcholine receptor antibodies, edrophonium test, Electromyography (EMG), Computed tomography (CT) etc depending on his advice.

Don’t worry with treatment most of the cases will be completely cured.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN