Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Inflamed and enlarged right collar bone. Is it a cause of concern?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 301 Questions
My right collar bone has become inflammed and enlarged, there is no pain, just that it has grown to over twice its normal size. It has taken 2-3 months to do so. It is the bone, not the lymph nodes unless there are lymph nodes attached or inside the collar bone itself. I recently (June 24th) had a L4-L5 Fusion, I do not think it is related, but thought I should mention.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X/RAY of collar bone plus biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for your question.

L4-L5 fusion is not related.

Presence of swelling and inflammation on this collar bone is concerning. Based on my experience, I would do x/ray of collar bone if needed a biopsy to rule out sinister conditions.
I would also do thorough physical examination of the affected area to determine exact location, mobility and attachment of swelling, ultrasound of affected area will be use full.

Have you ever had trauma to collar bone?
Have you lost weight in last 3 months?

Hope this helped. I will be happy to help you if you have other questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Inflamed and enlarged right collar bone. Is it a cause of concern? 56 minutes later
I have not lost weight recently, have stayed the same. I have not had any trauma to the collar bone.
the enlargement seems to be from within, there is nothing attached externally to the collar bone. The entire collar bone is affected and is now protruding from my chest 1/4 inch. I can put pressure on the collar bone between my fingers and thumb and there is no pain or reaction etc...simply enlarged.

I understand your reference to sinister above, I will schedule an appointment with my Primary Care Physician or Ortopedic DR this week.

Any other more simply afflictions that you can think of.....
Answered by Dr. David Okia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for providing me with additional information,

I would strongly encourage you to urgently to see orthopedic surgeon and have investigations like xray, biopsy done as I had mentioned earlier.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor