Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Inability to read, drive, or have a straight vision from right eye, macula problems. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
I have problem in seeing properly through my right eye (left eye is ok) through which i am not able to read, drive, and perform other activities that require fine, sharp, straight-ahead vision. This problem persist for a long time.I consulted a local doctor here and he told me that i have some problem in MACULA i.e retina and it cannot be treated and i have to live with this problem throughout my life. Is really there is not solution to this problem i.e medication, surgery etc. If there is a solution than where in India. I am really disheartened because i wont be able to see properly through one of my eye throughout my life. Please help.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Not having proper vision from one eye without any history of injury or disease to the eye is less likely to be an incurable disorder. You need to have a thorough eye examination from an eye specialist to know what exactly is the problem with your eye. Macular degeneration is a rare entity. It usually occurs after 50 years of age and usually runs in families.
Even if there is no proper treatment at least the progression of disease can be decreased with carotenoid supplementation.
Please visit your EYE specialist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Inability to read, drive, or have a straight vision from right eye, macula problems. Treatment? 2 hours later
What are specific test for checking Macula or Retina. Every time i go to doctor he starts from scratch i.e he will go for vision test and than it takes a lot of time for him to the conclusion. Can i straight away ask for some test to be done for the checking.

Also any other important test that you can mention regarding this issue will really help.

I didnt have any sort of injury or disease to my eye. But when i close my left eye and try to read from right eye, i am not able to read, all the word get mixed up and after some times some black area starts appearing which hinders visibility.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

To know the problem exactly one has to start examining from a scratch.

The specific tests you can do are - fluorescein angiography, Optical coherence tomography (OCT), perimetry, electroretinogram, electro- oculogram, visual field testing, dark adaptation test, etc.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor