In what way can increasing pain due to a Bartholin's cyst be managed?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: hello team for last 3 4 days my wife is facing issue with bartholin cyst. the severity of pain is increasing. yesterday we went to a doctor for consultation then she said we need to operate it but the size of cyst has not reached to its maximum so cant operate right now. she has prescribed few medicines for 3 days. attached is the prescription. kindly suggest what needs to be done as the pain is increasing and my wife is not able to walk properly or sit properly.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A hot compress can help.

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the attached prescription. Your wife has been given antibiotics and painkiller to reduce the pain and infection. In addition to these medicines, she can do a hot compress in the area of swelling. This will help in the discharge of some pus from the cyst and thus reduce the throbbing sensation. She can use the hot water bottle or sit in a tub of warm water for this purpose.

Avoid all the painful activities and use only cotton undergarments. She can also try to keep the area clean. Go for follow up to her gynecologist after 3 days to see if the swelling subsides.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
do we need to get this operate when it is advisable and do operation have any complications
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get it operated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing in again.

The need of operation depends on the size of the cyst and the extent f discomfort she has. The cyst is known for recurrence. It is best to get it removed if possible. If it is not operated then it can get infected again. It is a small and minor surgery without much complications.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.