In post cardiac arrest state. Unconscious and had tracheostomy. CT scan shows diffuse cerebral edema. Will brain function normally?
Not very bright Chances
Thanks for asking.
Brain can not withstand for prolong period of time, any inciting agent which leads to injury to the brain causes the brain cells to swell up ( edema).
The chances of full recovery depend on case to case basis though as a general rule longer is the period of the hypoxia lesser are the chances of full recovery.
A three month long period of unconsciousness with diffuse brain edema makes his chances of recovery slim.
Please let me know if you need more information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is mild diffuse cerebral edema
- Status post cardiac arrest
- Ct scan with cardiac stents
- Normal ct scan brain slices
- Does a ct scan show brain damage
- Encephalopathy status post cardiac arrest
- Ct scan brain infarct
- Mild diffuse cerebral edema
- Anoxic encephalopathy post cardiac arrest
- Post cardiac arrest treatment
- Having lower back pain along with spasmodic pain after sitting for a...
- Getting headache, feeling tired and hungry. Looking for cure
- Taking bisoprolol fumarate to regulate an ectopic heart beat. Is it safe...
- Taking griseofulvin to treat a fungus, clonopin and celexa for anxiety...
- Have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Taking oxycontin, panadol,...
- Burning sensation in vagina while passing urine. Got fever, vomiting and...
- Frequent urination, constantly thirsty, tired. Diabetes?
- What are the risk factors for the development of aortic aneurysm in a...
- Achy pain in arm., weak feeling. Take lots of supplements. What can be...
- Had unripe water melon. Now having loose motions. How to recover?