I'm a 60 year old male. I've been very gassy

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm a 60 year old male. I've been very gassy the past few months. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and it seemed to start soon after. I feel a bubbles in my lower left groin and can actually feel a gas bubble form. It's visible and when I push it in it moves and dissipates sometimes causing me to actually pass gas. There is no pain at all and doesn't happen when I push or exercise. It usually happens when I'm just standing or relaxing. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mac,

There is no need for concern. I do however suggest you have a colonoscopy to determine if your diverticulitis have caused a structure in your colon. Meanwhile, make sure to keep your stools soft, perhaps by means of laxatives. If it comes to nausea and vomiting in addition to an inability of passing stools or gas, you should go to the emergency department.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 11 hours later
Had a colonoscopy and all was well. So no need to worry about the bubble?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
No not at all

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

You should not worry. If the pain gets unbearable you should obviously see a doctor.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T