I will be the donor for my father's liver transplant

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I will be the donor for my father's liver transplant. I am confused with something, the thing is that I do smoke cigarettes so do I need to quit smoking or can I smoke 1 Cigarette in a say?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop smoking for at least 1 month before surgery and 6 months after.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Ankush,

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service.

You must stop smoking at least 1 month prior to the proposed surgery and stop it completely after the surgery.

Stopping smoking is healthy for you, it reduces the risk of hypertension and stroke and heart attacks in the future.

There is no benefit in continuing to smoke.

I hope that answers your query.

Best regards
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 25 minutes later
Thank you for the reply.

I know smoking is harmful for health but I want to know if my smoking will cause any problem in clearing the tests done before liver transplant. I was smoking marijuana too. I stopped that.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing major, your BP may be high.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Mr Ankush.

Smoking cigarettes will usually not affect any tests, but it keeps the blood pressure high which can make it difficult to perform surgery hence you should stop smoking at least 1 month prior to surgery.

Other than that, it does not affect any other tests that are done as a prerequisite for transplant donors.

I hope that clears your doubt.

Best regards