I just had a 4K score blood test done. The

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I just had a 4K score blood test done. The PSA for this teat was 4.72 and the 4K score was 8. My PSA two weeks ago was 5.6, but that was 2 hours after sex. I then retested 4 days later and it was 5. Now it is 4.72. What does a 4k score of 8 indicate?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It indicates your risk of aggressive prostate cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dkurz,

The 4K test informs on the risk of aggressive prostate cancer. With a score of 8%, retrospective cohort data suggests that your risk of prostate cancer metastases after 15 years is approximately 10%.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 2 hours later
As of now, my Urologist has me doing an MRI. I did not know how invasive the prep for the prostate MRI is. The radiology lab wants me to a fleet enema the night before AND the morning of the MRI. I am not in love with doing 2 fleet enemas in less than 12 hours. In light that my 4K result was ok, (I understand it wasn't great), should I still do the MRI? I intend to go on a very strict vegetarian diet, and test my PSA every quarter. What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mri is a good idea

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I think an Mri is a good idea, just to assess if there is aggressive disease.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy