I have black stools, ,last night they were loose. tonight
Probably the symptoms are food related or a bleeding ulcer, follow the advice below
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I understand your concern.
Black stool can be related to the presence of blood.
It comes from the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract, especially stomach from a bleeding ulcer.
It can also be related to certain foods such as licorice.
Iron supplements can also be the cause of black stool.
I suggest you to do a stool test to confirm the diagnosis.
If the presence of blood is confirmed I would recommend an endoscopy to confirm the source of the blood.
Meanwhile, I can recommend using antacid such as Maloox three tablets a day.
I also recommend to use medications to reduce the acidity in the stomach such as Omeprazole 20 mg daily in the morning.
After the examinations recommended you can contact me again for further evaluation.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of excessive sweating resulting in the feeling of been...
- What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?
- How to treat itching of the skin with small scabs on hands and arms?
- What type of exercises are advisable for a patient with high blood...
- What causes severe pelvic pain after engaging in sexual intercourse?
- Can Simvastatin cause side-effects after being on it for 4 years?
- What do abdominal pain with difficulty urinating indicate?
- Does mold causes heart palpitation and hot flashes?
- Can Ketamine help treat chronic depression in an elderly person?
- How can itchy rashes on the stomach be treated despite using Lotrix lotion?