I have been diagnosed with Shingles , given erythromycin ointment

Dermatologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with Shingles, given erythromycin ointment and Valacyclovir- 2 tablets 3 times a day. The Shingles have cleared up except for a mark on my face. The Shingles also appeared in my hair, the sores cleared up but the pain on the left side of forehead and head is so painful and itches very badly. I am rubbing the side of my head so much because of itching, I am becoming bald in that area. Is there anything I can do about the pain and the itching. It sometimes keeps me up at night. I am 73 years old and need my rest. I have had my eyes checked out because the Shingles came close my left eye. What can I do about the itching and pain?
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antihistaminic and Tramadol

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic,
I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.

Sometimes pain and itching after shingles takes quite some time to subside.

For itching, you can take antihistaminic like tablet Cetirizine 10 mg twice daily and for pain take Tramadol 50 mg twice daily.

Tramadol is a prescription drug and you need to see the doctor in person to get it.
These will certainly help in relieving your problem.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Asmeet