I had severe dandruff problems. In winter its cause me

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I had severe dandruff problems. In winter its cause me severe itching sometimes whenever i play sports or go in Sunlight. I decided to to go bald and then treat it with anti dandruff shampoos and massaging with oil but nothing helping currently. Can you please suggest what needs to be done as am currently bald so anything i will do to treat this will help more i guess.
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: I had severe dandruff problems. In winter its cause me 6 minutes later
Attached the pic where you can see the white areas that actually is where i can spot the dandruff and flakes comes up when i brush my head or rub my hand on it

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
You seem to have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp or dandruff in common parlance. On scalp, seborrheic dermatitis presents as itchy, red and flaky patches just as in your case. It may also involve the skin of face with dry, flaky, red patches.
Patients usually have either an onset or a flare of there seborrheic dermatitis during winters.
I suggest you to use a shampoo with 2% ketoconazole and 2-3% salicylic acid e.g either phytoral - SP shampoo Or Salisia - KT shampoo. Use it everyday. Lather it well on to wet scalp and leave it on for 7-10minutes before rinsing it off.
I also suggest you to use a topical steroid and salicylic acid based lotion on affected areas on the scalp overnight e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05 % and salicylic acid 3% lotion. Use it for 2 weeks and thereafter continue with the daily shampoo for maintenance.
If I was the treating doctor I would also start you on 10mg of oral isotretinoin, once a day.
There are all prescription medications and I advice you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.