I had an intestinal bypass operation 41 years ago.Recently I
. Please advise.
Lactase enzyme diminishes gradually as we age.
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.
Having diarrhoea after bypass surgery, in your case is related to malabsorption of lactose and fructose. This are sugars normally found in fruit juices and especially in orange juice.
Enzym lactase found in intestine makes possible the absorption of lactose.
Lactase activity diminishes gradually in adulthood and in your case is diminished also by intestinal bypass. Also liquids pass rapidly in bypass patients . All these factors cause diarrhoea after having fruit juices.
I think it will be better if you eat the fruit, chewing it slowly. This may be only solution.
Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes black outs. I was standing by a door
- Hello, I've been a pack a day smoker for 42
- I received some insect (ant, chigger?) about two weeks ago.
- it seems everytime I try to swallow pork meat my
- My wife has been taken entecavir for 30 days as
- I was recently hospitalized for 6 weeks after overdosing on
- I am in major pain under my right breast/ rib
- Hey doctor, I just had a question I have been
- What could a persistent cough be from along with some
- I began weaning off 50mg of sertraline 3 weeks ago.