question-icon

I had an intestinal bypass operation 41 years ago.Recently I

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2019
Question: I had an intestinal bypass operation 41 years ago.Recently I have been having a problem with fruit juices as it runs right threw me especially orange juice.Sometimes,I take an imodium before and that doesn't help
. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Lactase enzyme diminishes gradually as we age.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

Having diarrhoea after bypass surgery, in your case is related to malabsorption of lactose and fructose. This are sugars normally found in fruit juices and especially in orange juice.
Enzym lactase found in intestine makes possible the absorption of lactose.
Lactase activity diminishes gradually in adulthood and in your case is diminished also by intestinal bypass. Also liquids pass rapidly in bypass patients . All these factors cause diarrhoea after having fruit juices.
I think it will be better if you eat the fruit, chewing it slowly. This may be only solution.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka