question-icon

I am producing white pheglem but no cough . Also

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019
Question: I am producing white pheglem but no cough. Also have mild dull ache in upper back near shoulder blades. No fever. Can you diagnose with this much info?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms seems to be related to an upper respiratory tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to an upper respiratory tract infection.

The white phlegm occurs when the immune system sends white blood cells, known as neutrophils, in the area of infection.

These neutorphils go out as a white phlegm.

I would recommend you to use anti inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen 400 gm three times a day to reduce the inflammation.

I would also recommend you to use mucolitics such as Guaifenesin. It is available in tablet form over the counter (Mucinex)

I recommend you to drink liquids and rest.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi