Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

191 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I am having an issue with an itching coming from

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 10947 Questions

Posted on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am having an issue with an itching coming from the inside of my penis at the end of it as well as a burning sensation when I urinate? I don't want to go to my physician cause I'm embarrassed. I am not promiscuous nor is my wife and happily married. The last time we were sexually active was about 2 1/2 weeks ago and since then, I have felt this? I just thought it may go away as I have now started a diet and thought it could something such as that? I was taken various older scripts we've had left over and has not helped any? There is no drainage, but very itchy at times in that area only? What could it be? And, can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
fungal or bacterial infection, fungal can cause itching

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If the expiration date for the meds had passed significantly, then may not be effective

Burning on urination is usually related to an infection of the urinary tract, in this case the urethra which is the tube that runs through the penis. This usually requires a course of antibiotics, there are different antibiotics that can be used eg augmentin ( a type of penicilin), septrin, ciprofloxacin

Fluids to flush the urinary tract and cranberry products can also help as well.

Urinary tract infections do not usually cause itching however, this is usually a symptom of an yeast infection. Burning on urination can occur in women with yeast infections but not as commonly in men.
It is a rare complication but if the burning is only at the very end then a fungal infection is possible
Antifungals such as fluconazole , sometimes one dose is all that is required, maybe helpful.

Some persons can have more than one type of infection present but again more common in women.

A urine test would be helpful.

Summary: bacterial infections are the most common reason for burning but not usually itching

Fungal/yeast infections- can cause itching and occasionally burning- because can cause both can consider treatment with oral antifungals

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Is there any way you can prescribe me something? It would save me from coming in to my local Dr office and them jumping to conclusions? Small town!!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unfortunately not allowed to prescribe, sorry for inconvenience

Detailed Answer:

Can understand your worry about seeking assistance, though , as a doctor, we're supposed to keep all patient information private.

It would be best to confirm which , if any, infection is present so that you can get the absolutely right treatment.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to prescribe medication but there are online pharmacies that you can try where the medication can be requested and ordered, if you decide not to be assessed.

Sorry for any inconvenience
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on