Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I am having a sharp paom ranging from my left

Answered by
Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1911 Questions

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I am having a sharp paom ranging from my left buttock to my knee and ankle. Could it be a nerve pain or a muscle pain and how to I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More likely a nerve pain , would need physiotherapy and some painkiller

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to "Ask A Doctor" service. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Piain that is sharp in charrcter and go from buttock to the leg is very likely to be caused by pinched nerve .( shiatica ) This is a common health problem and most of the times it is not serious and resolves with physiotherapy and pain medicine in little time .We generally advise people to avoid lefting heavy weights , avoid bending forwards .Painkiller for few days like ibuprofen may be needed along with muscles relaxants like tizinidine p.The pain may also be helped by heat pads. And specefic physiotherapy may be done by the advice of professional which has got a huge role.
Most people would be fine in some times may be days to few weeks.
Rarley if pain is too severe more agressive therapies like injection in spine or surgory are needed ( only if the conservative measures fail and pain is very severe ).
However if the pain is very severe , or if there is weakness in legs , or if incontinence then emegency management is needed .
The pain is unlikely to be muscles , which would cause heavy pain in a localised area and won't go long enough from hip to foot .

Hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask anything else you need to know or if you any other concerns .
Kind Regards Dr Mahboob ur Rahman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 9 hours later

Is there anyway you can call in the muscle relaxant for me? It would be a huge help.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I wish I could do it but this is not possible for me.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , thank you for writing back to us. I understand your problem and I would have really done that happily for you but I am afraid that it would not be possible .These are prescription drugs and cannot be arranged through online advice .
You can call your pharmacist or may go to the ER , I am sure they would arrange for you .I am sorry to say that it is not possible for me by any way .
Please fee free to ask if you have any further question.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on