I am eating antipsychotic arpizol for many days.i dont have

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Mental Health
Question: I am eating antipsychotic arpizol for many days.i dont have any major mental disorder or schizophrenia then also my doctor is not stopping the medication.i want to stop the medication as it is causing me severe headache and weight gain
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about the side effects arising from use of ariprazole.

As you know aripiprazole is antipsychotic medication and mainly used for treatment of schizophrenia and related disorders. However the use of aripiprazole is not limited to only these conditions and it is also used for treatment of depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, hyperkinetic disorders among others. It is possible that your doctor started this medication believing that you have some other disorder for example post traumatic stress disorder.

Having said this if you feel you have never had any problem (including close aids and family members) I feel the medication is not necessary for you. However this is difficult as no psychiatrist is going to subject you to some medication without any valid reason.

I also request you to get second opinion form some other psychiatrist available in your city so you can have better care and explanation of condition. If you happen to be from western XXXXXXX you can approach me at XXXXXXX for second opinion.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 34 minutes later
Are there any substitute antipsychotic for arpizol as i feel arpizol is a very hard medicine with lots of side effects.i want to switch to another antipsychotic which has mild side effects compared to arpizol.which is the best hospital for psychiatric treatment
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are many

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

There are many options which can act like aripiprazole. The examples include olanzapine, haloperidol, trifluoerazine, lurasidone, risperidone, ziprasidone among others. Although every medication have its merits and demerits. I mean to say that every medicine have its own side effects and it is important to discuss them with your doctor before starting the medication. The choice of medication largely depends on what you prefer and what you want to avoid at all cost.

Regarding treatment of psychiatric disorders every city have psychiatric facility. Most of the medical colleges and big hospitals across XXXXXXX have psychiatric treatment facility. If you ask me the single best centre throughout XXXXXXX NIMHANS Bengaluru is my answer. If you happen to be from north XXXXXXX IBHAS XXXXXXX and CIP XXXXXXX are well acclaimed psychiatric hospitals.

I hope this answers you.
Thanks and regards.