I am a coeliac and have just found out that

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: I am a coeliac and have just found out that I am pregnant. Normally I follow a strict gluten free diet but unfortunately this morning I accidentally had some gluten. My body has been reacting to it ever since. I am very worried about the effect on the baby, as I know that at this time it is developing its neural tube and needs all the nutrients it can get, especially folic acid. Will having eaten the gluten damage the absorption of the necessary nutrients? Should I be worried and what can I do if so?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably you should take antihistamines to low the body reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms are related to the consume of gluten while having celiac disease.

I would recommend you to take antihistamines such as Levocetirizine 10 mg daily.

It is considered as a safe medication to take during pregnancy.

The impact of the allergic reaction during pregnancy on the baby is minimal, so you should not be worried.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T