I am a 63 yom and have been having a

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 63 yom and have been having a dull pain in my left buttocks area that is more prominent while I'm prone or my legs fully extended. It is causing some discomfort in the thigh and knee area but doesn't cause a lot of pain while walking. btw - over the holidays, I went to the Fun Zone with my nephews and their kids and, although I didn't notice anything at the time, I was a little sore after the next couple of days (which wasn't unexpected). But this is when I first started feeling the discomfort. Wondering if this might be a pulled muscle or hamstring and/or what exercises I should do or avoid. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible muscle strain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome Ask a doctor's service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

Probably you are having a muscle strain. Probably you did sudden movement without warning up before which resulted in muscle injury.
I can suggest you to take over the counter pain relievers such acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Put on warm and cold compresses.
You can do gentle stretching exercise bending forward.
Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 28 minutes later
How long should I expect this to take to heal and would doing 20-25 half push ups (keeping my lower body on the floor) each day hurt my recovery? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can get better in a week.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear and thank you for asking again.
I think doing 20-25 push-ups per day can hurt your recovery . You can continue them after pain is gone.
This can get better in a week.