question-icon

I accidentally swallowed a 500 mg clomrimazole vaginal pessary. I

default
Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2019
Question: I accidentally swallowed a 500 mg clomrimazole vaginal pessary. I made myself sick after but could not see the tablet however I had just had some soup. What should I do?
default
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (28 minutes later)
I am 41 And female
doctor
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to go at the emergency room for further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

Clotrimazole 500 mg pessary is used to treat yeast infections.

It should be used only for vaginal application.

It usually dissolves in time but, it may need some days.

So, I would suggest you to go in the emergency room for an ultrasound.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (56 minutes later)
What would possible effect be? I found the following on the manufacturer website
“However, in the event of accidental oral ingestion, gastric lavage is rarely required and should be considered only if clinical symptoms of overdose become apparent (e.g. dizziness, nausea or vomiting)”
I also found an earlier answer on your website saying it didn’t need treatment :


“Dr. XXXXXXX Chail
29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
By the oral route, clotrimazole can cause mild gastrointestinal irritation and it should not last for more than a day. No risk of acute intoxication is seen as it is unlikely to occur following inadvertent oral ingestion. There is no specific antidote. The treatment remains drinking lots of fluids and washing the medication out of the body.

However if the diarrhea continues for more than 24 hours then please contact a health care provider.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,
Dr.Vivek”


I feel fine at the moment not dizzy or sick and I have 2 children at home so don’t want to go to ER unless necessary
doctor
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
If you feel any of the side effects mentioned below you should go to the ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

The possible side effects of swallowing Clotrimazole 500 mg pessary can be stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

In the vaginal area, the pessary is usually absorbed.

But, based on the fact that the pessary is not in the vaginal area, it may remain undissolved completely.

In this case, gastric lavage is needed to prevent the side effects.

So, I would suggest you go to the emergency room if you feel one of the side effects mentioned above.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 8872 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
I accidentally swallowed a 500 mg clomrimazole vaginal pessary. I

I am 41 And female