Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

167 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Hypertensive. Controlled after taking beta blocker and loop diuretics. Can I reduce the dosage?

Answered by
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 424 Questions

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i am hypertensive using beta blocker,calcium blocker and loop diuretics.
now my blood pressure is in the range of 100-65 with pulse rate in the range 60-70
please advise whether to reduce medicine dosage or stop some of the medicine.


1--AMTAS-AT-----------------5+50 MG -- 1 TAB

2-RANCAD 500MG---------------------------1 TAB

3-TIDE PLUS 10-------------------------------1 TAB

4-SORBITRATE 10 MG----------------------HALF TAB


1-SORBITRATE 10 MG----------------------HALF TABLET


1-RANCAD 500 MG-----------------------------1 TAB

2-DEPLATT-CV----------------------------------1 TAB

3-SORBITRATE 10MG-------------------------HALF TAB

Please advise me on dosage of my medication as my blood pressure is in the range of 90--55 most of the times now..

My pulse rate in the range of 58-70 most of the times.

I am uncomfortable and shaky when I change my position from long sitting position to standing position.

I am walking regularly for 45 minutes in the evening and am stable and comfortable.

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 50 minutes later

Thanks for detailed query.

If you currently don't have any angina (chest pain) you should stop sorbitrate. Recheck you blood pressure after about week.

If you symptoms improve and comfortable and the systolic blood pressure comes to around 120, we can continue rest of medicines. But however if you continues to have problems we might have to do further modification. Please get back to me if need be.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 17 hours later
my doctor is in india and is not used to email reply.when i contacted him last he advised me to reduce dosage of AMTAS-AT -BP MEDICATION-gradually i have now reduced it to half tablet.still my blood pressure is 105/60 most of the time with pulse 60-70.
please advise if i stop taking diuretic--TIDE PLUS 10 to be with good blood pressure with no symptom of posture problem.please adive which one is better option SORBITRATE OR TIDE PLUS 10.
please advise.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Postural symptoms are more common with vasodilator like sorbitrate, than diuretics. Though, when taken along it can worsen the giddiness caused by sorbitrate. Hence stopping diuretic alone may not be of great help. I would suggest you stop sorbitrate, after a proper physical examination by a doctor there. It is not correct to stop, change or start any medication without examining.

Hope I have been able to address your concern. Thank you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
thank you for your reply
i can not be physically examined by my doctor as he is in india. in saudi arabia any specialist doctor will advise their own medications.i have therefore to follow advice which is available through discussion online suiting to my present condition.
please consider my position in a different way that is why i am taking specialist recommendations on line. i hope you will understand my problem sympatheticallly.
i have no anginal pain and am walking about two km comfortably daily.i am taking sorbitrate half tablet morning evening. please advise if i stop only morning dose or evening dose or both.
i will monitor my BP and will let you know for your further advice.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 21 minutes later
You stop both morning and evening dose. I do understand your situation. I am definitely here to help you any manner and time you would need.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 22 hours later
thank u for ur reply.
i shall keep you informed after further observations.
best regards
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later
You are welcome to contact me if you need further guidance. You can ask me on this link:
If all your queries are answered for now, please close this discussion.

Best Wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Drug rehabilitation

doctor1 MD

My partner and I have been together about 5 times, and he has orgasmed only on 2 of those occasions. Both times there was no semen. On 2 other occasions, while close to climaxing, he went soft. He states this has been normal for him. He had a history of drug and alcohol abuse, but has been clean/ sober for 3 years. do you have any suggestions.

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor Grief; my name is Richard Hartsfield, from Alabama. I am a 61 year old veteran and I have been suffering chronic pain (90% arthritic), amongst other things. My doctors at the V.A. in Birmingham, Alabama have been looking after my needs until 16 to 20 months ago. I was told by my doctor at the V.A. that he was being mandated by his SUPERIORES that he was to start the process of taking myself along with all other Veterans that eventually practically all Vets would not be getting any narcotic pain relievers I was fortunate to have an old high school buddy who is a physician refer me to another physician who would see to my needs. I take anywhere from 150 to 170m.g. s of methadone for a long time and am afraid that ,(well I,m afraid that for some unforseeable reason, that I won t be able to get the meds I need. I am a caretaker for my 86 year old mother and it is a gut wrenching thing to watch her slowly die a little each day. To make a long storey short, I am looking ahead and will eventually need my pain meds (legally) each month without the stress of worrying if I will be able to get my meds. Respectfully, Richard Hartsfield

doctor1 MD

my mom has been on methadone for 17 years as high as 200mg/day. for past 5 years she s been on 40mg/day. she is having a hysterectomy fri and her surgeon wrote a letter to her pcp to recommend iv and po meds post-op what will help the best to relieve the pain .......what meds????

doctor1 MD

I have Miller Fischer Variant since November 2005, extremely painful, currently on numerous meds, the main one being Methadone. Does not matter what I have tried, pain is with me 24/7. I assume if I take larger dose it help, but I don t want to do that. has anyone heard about this

doctor1 MD

If I am addicted to opiates, will tramadol keep me from going into withdrawal and being "dope sick?"

doctor1 MD

I have joint pain and use hydocodone - 10 milliigrams each day only and tramadol , only because it was prescribed in 1985 and probably withdrawal may be severe, Celebrex helps a great deal but I may have kidney problems as a result. my non-regular...

doctor1 MD

I had three beers from 8-10 and at about 11:15 I completely forgot I had been drinking and took 5mg of ambien becuase i have been having major stress and anxiety . Should I go to the hospital?