Owl Image

Hypertensive. Controlled after taking beta blocker and loop diuretics. Can I reduce the dosage?

Owl Image
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Question
i am hypertensive using beta blocker,calcium blocker and loop diuretics.
now my blood pressure is in the range of 100-65 with pulse rate in the range 60-70
please advise whether to reduce medicine dosage or stop some of the medicine.
I AM UNDER YOUR TREATMENT FROM LAST NEARLY 3 MONTHS AND HAVE BEEN ADVISED FOLLOWING TREATMENT.

MORNING DOSAGE

1--AMTAS-AT-----------------5+50 MG -- 1 TAB

2-RANCAD 500MG---------------------------1 TAB

3-TIDE PLUS 10-------------------------------1 TAB

4-SORBITRATE 10 MG----------------------HALF TAB

NOON TIME

1-SORBITRATE 10 MG----------------------HALF TABLET

EVENING TIME

1-RANCAD 500 MG-----------------------------1 TAB

2-DEPLATT-CV----------------------------------1 TAB

3-SORBITRATE 10MG-------------------------HALF TAB

Please advise me on dosage of my medication as my blood pressure is in the range of 90--55 most of the times now..

My pulse rate in the range of 58-70 most of the times.

I am uncomfortable and shaky when I change my position from long sitting position to standing position.

I am walking regularly for 45 minutes in the evening and am stable and comfortable.

XXXXXXX
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 50 minutes later

Thanks for detailed query.

If you currently don't have any angina (chest pain) you should stop sorbitrate. Recheck you blood pressure after about week.

If you symptoms improve and comfortable and the systolic blood pressure comes to around 120, we can continue rest of medicines. But however if you continues to have problems we might have to do further modification. Please get back to me if need be.

Follow-up: Hypertensive. Controlled after taking beta blocker and loop diuretics. Can I reduce the dosage? 17 hours later
my doctor is in india and is not used to email reply.when i contacted him last he advised me to reduce dosage of AMTAS-AT -BP MEDICATION-gradually i have now reduced it to half tablet.still my blood pressure is 105/60 most of the time with pulse 60-70.
please advise if i stop taking diuretic--TIDE PLUS 10 to be with good blood pressure with no symptom of posture problem.please adive which one is better option SORBITRATE OR TIDE PLUS 10.
please advise.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Postural symptoms are more common with vasodilator like sorbitrate, than diuretics. Though, when taken along it can worsen the giddiness caused by sorbitrate. Hence stopping diuretic alone may not be of great help. I would suggest you stop sorbitrate, after a proper physical examination by a doctor there. It is not correct to stop, change or start any medication without examining.

Hope I have been able to address your concern. Thank you.

Follow-up: Hypertensive. Controlled after taking beta blocker and loop diuretics. Can I reduce the dosage? 1 hour later
thank you for your reply
i can not be physically examined by my doctor as he is in india. in saudi arabia any specialist doctor will advise their own medications.i have therefore to follow advice which is available through discussion online suiting to my present condition.
please consider my position in a different way that is why i am taking specialist recommendations on line. i hope you will understand my problem sympatheticallly.
i have no anginal pain and am walking about two km comfortably daily.i am taking sorbitrate half tablet morning evening. please advise if i stop only morning dose or evening dose or both.
i will monitor my BP and will let you know for your further advice.
thank you
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 21 minutes later
You stop both morning and evening dose. I do understand your situation. I am definitely here to help you any manner and time you would need.

Follow-up: Hypertensive. Controlled after taking beta blocker and loop diuretics. Can I reduce the dosage? 22 hours later
thank u for ur reply.
i shall keep you informed after further observations.
best regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later
You are welcome to contact me if you need further guidance. You can ask me on this link:
WWW.WWWW.WW
If all your queries are answered for now, please close this discussion.

Best Wishes