How to wean off Clonaphen?

Question
I have been taking clonaphen for about a year 2.5 once a dayand want to get off can I just stop ??
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, type this drug out correctly!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry but the name you have provided for this medication seems not to be commonly known to the medical community as such. Can you please provide more information on this drug like what the active ingredient is, its dosage and check the spelling again to make sure we get it right?

Drugs, especially those that can create dependence need to be discontinued in a gradual and progressive process so as to avoid withdrawal symptoms. This may be the case with this drug but would want to be so sure of it before going on.

This would be very helpful to make sure we understand what medication you are referring to and provide relevant information to help you with this.

I hope to hear fro you. Would get back to you with more information once you make this clarification. I wish you well.

Follow-up: How to wean off Clonaphen? 6 minutes later
Clonaphen is the medication for anxiety.. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thanks !

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

This drug should not be stopped abruptly. I will suggest that you tell me what dosage you are on at this time. You would need to reduce the dosage progressively in a stepwise manner for over 6-8weeks before stopping when you must have gotten to very tiny dosages.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to request for more information.

Follow-up: How to wean off Clonaphen? 23 minutes later
The medication is Klonopin 2.5 mg

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
This make it a lot easier for me right now.

Though it is 2.5mg, this is actually a high dose for this medication as there are persons who take as little as 0.5mg.

I will recommend the following plan.

1. Talk to the prescribing doctor and get his consent.
2. Week 1and 2: take 2mg daily
Week 2 and 3 take 1mg daily
Week 4 and 5: take 0.5mg daily.
Week 6 and 7: Take 0.5mg on alternate days.
Week 8+: take 0.5mg every 3days and stop after 3doses.

3. If you witness any abnormal side effects, please talk to your doctor immediately. Beware of possible seizures during the weaning off process.

Let me know if there is something more you would want me to touch on and also if this plan above is simple and easy to follow.