How to treat painful swelling of hands and feet?

Question
My partner is 76 YO female who suddenly developed painful, swelling joints in hands, wrist, feet, knees which followed flight-like symptoms 4 days prior with XXXXXXX temp 100.8F. Currently no fever. She was given dexamethasone in urgent care, and started 60mg daily Prednisone with tapered dose one day ago. No appreciable decrease in symptoms.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
sounds like reactive arthritis

Detailed Answer:
This sounds like reactive arthritis, which is a type of arthritis that can follow a viral infection. It is strange that the dexamethasone/prednisone has not helped because reactive arthritis is a form of immune reaction and usually responds to anti-inflammatories like prednisone. If she is not feeling quite a bit better in 1-2 days I would try to get her in to see a rheumatologist.
Also she will need her liver enzymes checked again in at least a week to make sure they are not increasing. Have her see her regular doctor as soon as possible so that he/she knows what is going on and can make the appropriate referrals if they are needed.
I hope she is feeling better very soon.
Dr. Robinson

Follow-up: How to treat painful swelling of hands and feet? 23 minutes later
Thanks, Dr. Robinson! Your answer makes sense to me, if my memory of pathophysiology serves me correctly. I am an old pharmacist, and I do expect better resolution from the prednisone therapy tomorrow. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX R.Ph.

Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Take care and I hope she is feeling better very soon.
Dr. Robinson