Owl Image

How to test for HIV after exposure?

Owl Image
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Question
Hi Doc,
2 days back I have done unsafe sex with one escort female and but I release my sperms outside... now I am afraid for HIV.. even I talk to her and she said she is not HIV+ but I am scared.
please advise.
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out HIV/STD with blood tests as risk is there

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM

With an unprotected sex with unknown girl, we can not rule out the risk of HIV/STD. As per CDC XXXXXXX vaginal sex carries the risk for HIV as 5 per 10000 exposures.
Ejaculating outside the vagina reduces the risk for her only, not for you.
She may or may not have infection or she may not be aware of infection as there is a possibility that she could be in window period. We can not rely her words absolutely. Hope she is free from any infection including HIV/STD.
But it is better to have a blood work out for HIV/STD after the window period and get relieved from your mental tension..
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How to test for HIV after exposure? 34 minutes later
Hello Doc ,
Thanks for reply... I still not understand how I will infected , I don't have cuts on my penis and there is no other problems to me.. what will be the possible medium of transmission?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk can not be ruled out. Testing recommended.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

During intercourse, your organ had been exposed to the vaginal secretion for few minutes. HIV can spread through intact mucous membrane also. Cuts and abrasions may facilitate this transmission. Sometimes, our organ might have microscopic abrasions which we can not notice under normal circumstances. Bacteria are smaller and seen only with the help of a microscope whereas Virus are still smaller not able to identify under ordinary microscope which can magnify about 100 times. Virus needs electron microscope to visualize the same. Now you can imagine a virus, how smaller it is. It can enter into the skin and mucous membrane even through a microscopic pores.
So the risk can not be ruled out. At the same time it is not having any higher risk. Many a time sex partners of these HIV positives remain HIV free for years together even after their prolonged exposures without any protection.
They are called as Sero-discordant couple.
It once again depends upon various factors. Nothing can be predicted and so we have to be cautious and rule out the possibilities totally by test. Protected sex is always safe. Unnecessary mental tension can be avoided.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How to test for HIV after exposure? 15 hours later
Last Question Doc:- after reviewing your second answer its seems that the risk of HIV should be high if you insert penis in Vagina(HIV+ Person), because any how man's pea hole will always be open during sex and if that so why research says "vaginal sex carries the risk for HIV as 5 per 10000 exposures" it should be more then this.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Many factors decide the HIV risk.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Anal sex carries more risk than Vaginal sex as there is no lubrication, more partner change, more chances for injury and abrasions during sex.
Even in vaginal sex women have more risk than men as they are recipients, larger exposed area and semen likely to stay for more time.
Like this, so many factors play role in transmission. In spite of all, there are people living as Sero- discordant. All whom exposed were not infected. People's own immunity factors also play a role. With all these factors in statistics, the risk is calculated. We need not go into deep research.
Testing for HIV is the only way to get relieved from all your mental tension.
Chances of getting HIV is very less only.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How to test for HIV after exposure? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot doctor to answer my all question.
I have taken an Appointment for 1 Test which is scheduled next week(after12 days).

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Timing of tests to be planned as per sensitivity.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Test after 12 days would not be so conclusive.
HIV 1 infection (Common almost 99%) can be ruled out conclusively by 4 weeks after the high risk activity with the antigen based tests as most of these antigen tests detect only HIV 1 antigen only, whereas HIV 2 (very rare) can be ruled out only by 12 weeks after the high risk contact.
STD tests sensitivity also vary according to each diseases from a week to 6 weeks.
You consult your physician or a Dermatologist before taking up these tests.
DR S XXXXXXX