How to taper down Wysolone with any withdrawal symptoms?

Question
i started with 40 mg of wysolone and tapered it to 10 in 3 weeks . what should be a ideal tapering method. I have headaches and fast heart beats at times. i had taken a course of steroids in october last year and tapered it to 10 in one and half months and then taken 10 mg for one and half month and then stopped
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
taper it on a weekly basis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Taper wysolone on a weekly basis by reducing the dosage from 40 to 10mg slowly. By this, I mean that you should take 40mg in the first week, then 30mg in the second week, followed by 20mg in the third week, and then 10mg for a week and stop.

Hope this is clear to you. Minor side effects like the ones you have mentioned are likely to present too. But, it should be gone soon.

Take care!

Follow-up: How to taper down Wysolone with any withdrawal symptoms? 17 minutes later
so what is all this about tapering steroids very gradually like by 2.5 mg and so on. and also are the side effects of steroids temporary

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
to prevent acute shortage of steroids

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

This tapering is done to prevent acute shortage of steroids within the body. Also, the body adapts well to slow tapering of steroids.

Yes, the side effects are temporary. It would vanish once steroid use is stopped.

Follow-up: How to taper down Wysolone with any withdrawal symptoms? 6 minutes later
that is what i wanted to know that if i taper off at 10 mg each week what problems might this cause and ideally how should i go about it

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
go ahead as suggested

Detailed Answer:

No problems as such would occur if you taper it the way I have told. Start it at 40mg and taper it at 10mg every weeks. Hence, you would completely stop the medicine after 4 weeks.

I hope it is clear to you now.