Owl Image

How to remove hard circular patch of dry and hard skin on lip?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a hard circular patch of dry, hard skin the the middle of my top lip. It's not painful nor does it in any way affect my health. I've had this patch, which has a diameter of about 2cm for as long as I can remember. 15 years at least. I'm 24 now and I've had this since early childhood.

The patch becomes dry and scaly around the edges until it peels off or I bite it off out of annoyance. I thought it was my biting it off that was causing it to reoccur. However I spent 8 weeks with out biting it off, something which was immensely difficult to do, I should also say. And while it was not as bad at first, within a few days it had returned to normal.

I've tried exfoliating my lips using a soft toothbrush and vaseline. This helped with how rough it felt but didn't remove the problem and as soon as exfoliating stopped it would return to normal in a day or two.

Any advice? This is purely for my own aesthetic reasons as the patch can be very visible at times. Thank you.
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Dry Skin

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.

The patch can be viral wart,venous lake,cheilitis etc.

It can be related to your biting habit.

Also I would like to know-
Is it growing in size or static?
Does it extend on mucosal surface of lips?
Is it flat /raised /depressed?
Can you upload the photos of the affected area.
Photos can help a lot in predicting the nature of the condition.

Answer the questions and upload the images(use UPLOAD REPORTS SECTION on right side of the box)We can continue the discussion here.

Anticipating your reply.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.