How to increase height at the age of 18?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi I m from XXXXXXX n my height is 5.2 my age is 18 I want to increase my height plz mail me
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nutrition and exercise might be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
In boys the final growth starts around 13-15 years and lasts maximum to 18-19.
Our final height is influenced by genetic and enviromental factors. In terms of genetics , the heights of our parents plays the major role in our final height.
Enviromentally, factors such as adequate rest, limitation of alcohol, exercise, use of good diet, recurrent illnesses, certain medications can all affect the final height attained.

There are no supplements that specifically increase height. Assuming that you are into your final growth spurt you ought to take care of your nutrition and be active not lazy.
In terms of stretching, yoga and pilates, though exercises are not likely to increase your structural height they may help with standing taller which adds a few inches for some people. Yoga and pilates may strengthen core muscles to help you stand taller.
In diet include foods with calcium and vitamin D (low fat milk and cheese). vegetables and nuts are also good sources of calcium.Replace carbohydrates with proteins such as fish, eggs, meat and legumes. Eat vitamin rich food such as vegetables, fruits, almonds and peanuts.
Avoid carbonated drinks, excess salt, sugar and fat.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 26 minutes later
Dose my weight can effect my height growth? my actual weight is 75kg can u provide a specific dite plan for this
So tat I get a perfect idea of Wat I comsume
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
BMI lies in Obese category. Follow the measures as suggested

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Good to hear from you.
Your BMI lies in obese category. Kindly follow the instruction as mentioned.
If you take in 1,050 to 1,200 calories a day, and exercise for one hour per day, you could lose 3-5 pounds in the first week.
Limiting salt and starches may also mean losing more weight at first -- but that's mostly fluids, not fat.

I would suggest a diet that minimizes starches, added sugars, and animal fat from meat and dairy foods and focusing on fruits, veggies, egg whites, soy products, skinless poultry breasts, fish, shellfish, nonfat dairy foods, and 95% lean meat.

Eat vegetables to help you feel full.
Drink plenty of water.
Get tempting foods out of your home.
Stay busy -- you don't want to eat just because you're bored.
Eat only from a plate, while seated at a table. No grazing in front of the 'fridge.
Don't skip meals.

As suggested earlier, regular exercise.

I would suggest you not to check weight very often, follow the measures as suggested and check weight after 15 days.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak