How to have safe sex during pregnancy?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi i am 21 weeks pregnant,i just follow the sex position where i lie sideways in my right and one feet on my partners shoulder sex positon ...i want to know whether this position is safe during pregnancy?and is man on top harm the baby...
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Precautions

Detailed Answer:

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) The position you mentioned is safe during pregnancy.

2) See to it that the man on top does not press your belly.

3) The only care he needs to take is that he should not thrust with full force and does not insert full length in and thrust.

4) These precautions should be safe enough.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 minutes later
Kindly clarify Is there any risk for baby if position is changed.? In what way some sex positions are not safe where it could affect the baby severly?is there anything like due to some sexual position there is no movement for baby as such......,
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Poitional effects

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Missionary position is not safe as it causes pressure on abdominal blood vessels.

Any other positions other than that should not be done with too much thrust.

Because thrust leads to movement of the uterus and baby. Excessive movement can lead to abortion.

I hope your doubt is cleared now.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj