How to clean ear wax?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi doctor,
What is the best way to clean ear wax? Is it advisable to try to clean ears ourselves? Is using ear buds/sticks safe?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Using ear buds / sticks is not safe .

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and understand your concern.

Using ear buds / sticks is not safe . It will push wax much deeper inside ear which is difficult to remove .

For minimal ear wax best way to clean it is ear wax dissolving drops like soliwax ear drop - 4 drops 4 times/day for 4 days .

For Hard impacted wax , you need to use ear wax dissolving drops & anti-inflammatory tablet for 4 days prior to removal from ENT specialist .

It is not advisable to to clean ears ourselves by using ear buds or sticks it will push wax much deeper , sometime cause trauma to ear canal & may cause infection .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 34 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply.
After using soliwax ear drops, how do we need to clean the wax inside ear? Does the wax come out automatically?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wax will come out automatically if it is minimal not impacted .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for the follow up query.

After using soliwax ear drops , wax will come out automatically if it is minimal not impacted .

Hope this information helpful to you .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj