How safe and successful is vaginal birth after cesarean(VBAC)?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 1 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: What are the pros and cons of VBAC Vs C-section
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
VBAC is better than a repeat C- section.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Both vaginal birth after cesarean and repeat c-section involve some increased risks to mothers. But considering all the involved risks a planned vaginal birth is overall safer than a repeat cesarean section. If planned properly, there are almost 75% chances that you will have a vaginal delivery.
A planned cesarean offers some advantages over a cesarean that takes place after labor has started: a planned cesarean is less likely to involve injury to other organs during surgery, to lead to infection, and to take an emotional toll.
Still considering that cesarean is a major surgery, it is better to go for a planned VBAC.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
thank you for answering my question my wife had a C-section on the first pregnancy and her scare is side to side down by the hip bone in middle of the hip bone is that be same cut on the uterus, I got books on my Kindle and been watching VBAC videos on YouTube trying to understand, this second baby won't be born until April but I want to be very knowledgeable about VBAC, also my wife is scared of having a baby going through her vagina do you know what I can do about that, I keep telling her i be right there for her
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Uterine scar is transverse.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. On the uterus a transverse incision is made in the lower segment.
During a vaginal delivery proper monitoring is done to see the well being of the baby. There is nothing to worry. It is normal physiology for the baby to baby to pass through vagina during birth. She can do pelvic floor exercises or lamaze exercises under the guidance of her gynecologist to relax the pelvic muscle s for an easier delivery.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.