How much protein should be present in one's diet?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I got to know that 0.6 gm protein per pound of one's weight is the XXXXXXX consumption for a person. I have started to work out in gym few months back and am being asked to increase my protein intake to this level. Questions:
1. Is this true? is this the XXXXXXX that can be taken, or just a recommendation? what is the optimum amount of protein that should be present in one's diet.
2. I'm am lacto ovo vegetarian. I need help to lat out a diet plan so that I make sure to take in the optimum amount of protein, given that I regular work out in gym now.
3. too much protein intake is causing lot of flatulence. I need suggestions on what else to include in my diet to avoid this.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
for you 1gram per kg per day is desired

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, thanks for trusting health care magic.
The average daily intake of protein for a normal man is about 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight Or around 0.36 per pound of body weight.
This is the recommended dose and not the maximum dose but ideally should not exceed this dose because otherwise it affects kidney functions.
As you are going to start gym ideal protein intake for you is 1 gram per kg.
Too much intake of protein definitely causes excess flatulence so should be avoided.
A good diet plan includes equal carbohydrates and protein and less fat especially saturated fat.
For protein you can have sprouts, pulses, eggs and boiled grams.
Avoid foods with high sugar or calorie content like sweets, potato, fruits like grapes and mangoes.
Instead take lots of salads and water.
Adequate intake of water will also help in proper utilization of protein in body.
All the best.