How many scans are required at 27 weeks twins pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on 4 days ago in Pregnancy
Question: Dear Sir/Madam
My Wife is 27 Weeks pregnant with Twins now wanted to check any specific scans for Twins that we need to perform .
Could you also let me know how many scans should be performed after 27 weeks for Twin Pregnancy till delivery and any specific or routine test that should be done
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Ultrasound scans and NST are needed.

Detailed Answer:

Women with twin pregnancies may need to have multiple ultrasounds throughout their third trimester to make sure a baby is developing normally.

After 27 bweeks an ultrasound scan is needed after every 4-5 weeks to ensure that both the babies are growuing normally.

Sometimes, when a doctor is uncertain of a baby's movements, a biophysical profile (BPP) is done, which can include an ultrasound and a nonstress test (NST) after 36 weeks.

Your doctor will continue to check your urine for protein and sugar every two weeks and any signs of infection, keeping a close eye for signs of preeclampsia, a complication most common in the last weeks of pregnancy. You may have blood tests again for anemia.

Colour doppler scan may be needed if the baby's weight is less.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later
Thank you very much for your inputs.This is very Useful information.
Do we need to Perform GCTT test after 28 weeks and interval growth Scans every 4 weeks after crossing 28 Weeks to monitor or one Interval scan would be fine ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Get GCTT done.

Detailed Answer:

You need to go for GCTT after 28 weeks to rule out gestational diabetes. It is best to go for a scan after every 4 -5 weeks for proper monitoring of the growth of both the babies.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee