How long does recovery from coma take after a brain damage?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: An acquaintance of mine had an asthma attack, followed by cardiac arrest and possible brain damage. The person has been in coma for little over a month now.
For first 3 weeks the person was on ventilator for breathing. Now is able to breath on their own.
The patient opens eyes sometimes, but is not conscious. Seems to respond to sound as well sometimes. The person is in late 30s. The person is being treated by good neuro doctors in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

What are the chances of person getting out of coma, and when?
Are there any specialist hospitals or research centers (particularly this) that can be further consulted in XXXXXXX (or maybe even abroad)?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload Mri report's

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Brain damage may have occurred due to cardiac arrest.
You need to provide mri images or reports for analysis.
The recovery and prognosis depends upon extent of injury.
Though recovery is occurring, the exact nature can not be predicted.
Continue treatment through the same hospital.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar