How long does Coveram take to show effect?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 66 yrs old male with blood measure of 188 over 88. before I take my prescribe medicine of COVERAM 5mg/10mg. (third day, one tab per day).
what r possibility of my hypertension? Hv Sciatica but near well.
Any precaution? Wl undergo 2d eco tmw.

thanks for kind response.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that every change in the anti-hypertensive therapy needs a certain period of time (which goes up to a week) to show its effect and achieve a new balance in your blood pressure.

Coveram is a composite drug, formed by perindopril (which is an ACE inhibitor) and amlodipine (which is a calcium channel blocker).

This is a really effective combination of drugs in helping manage values of blood pressure like yours.

Anyway, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure frequent times during the day in the next days. If after a week your blood pressure values are still above 140/85 mmHg, I recommend reconsulting with your attending physician and discussing the possibility of making further changes to your anti-hypertensive therapy (add on other drugs like hydroclorothyazide, etc.), to have a better control of your blood pressure.

I would also recommend some lifestyle modifications to help you reduce your blood pressure naturally:

- reduce salt and caffeine intake in your diet
- perform a lot of physical activity
- try to lose some pounds if you are overweight.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri