• question-icon

Suggest treatment for side effects of Coveram

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I take medicibe once a day of Coversm 5/5 mg and Natrlex 1.5 mg for blood pressure since last Dec.
One of the side effects wad minor dry cough, recently when i started fasting (month of Ramadan ) i noticrd that the cough has increased .
Any advise ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that cough is a common adverse effect related to Coveram.

But, as you have been taking this time for a long time and it has been exacerbated by fasting, I would explain that this change in your situation could be related to gastro-esophageal reflux, which can trigger cough.

For this reason, I would recommend trying an antiacid or omeprazole. If it doesn't help improve your situation (reduce the cough), I would recommend discussing with your doctor on the possibility of stopping Coveram and switching to another antihypertensive drug.

This drug contains amlodipine 5mg and Perindopril 5mg. So my advice would be to switch from Coveram 5/5 to Amlodipine 10mg.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Thsnks doctor
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me again directly at any time. I would be happy to answer to all of your questions!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist