• question-icon

How long after a vasectomy can unprotected sex be performed?

Posted on Thu, 20 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: I had a vasectomy two weeks ago. Had a sperm test today and had 0 live sperm count. (I have been trying to speed up the process and had 27 ejaculations since the vasectomy.) A number of doctors have told me not to have unprotected sex yet. Some say wait 6 weeks. Some say wait 7 days and test again. But I just read this relative to a study on the SpermCheck home post-vasectomy sperm test:

In the clinical trial, researchers used SpermCheck to evaluate a cohort of 144 post-vasectomy semen samples. The test achieved an accuracy rate of 96 percent in identifying whether sperm counts were greater or less than a threshold of 250,000 sperm per ml - a level associated with little or no risk of causing pregnancy. SpermCheck proved to be 100 percent accurate in identifying whether sperm counts were greater or less than 384,000 sperm per ml.

Based on that, it would seem that if it is near impossible to get pregnant with 250,000 sperm and I am at 0, my risk of having unprotected sex tonight and getting my wife pregnant would be INCREDIBLY low. What is your response?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the risk is very low.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

The risk of impregnating a wife after vasectomy and with the findings of your latest is very low. However, I will not want you to undertake even a very low risk because it is not zero. In 1000 persons, am sure less than 10 will get their wives pregnant. I think you have already done the most difficult of it all and no longer need to bear any further risk. Exercise a little more patience and you shall be cleared fully. However, the chances are very very very low, but not zero.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah