• question-icon

How is an impairment of the frontal lobe after an emotional trauma defined?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the name of the disorder that affects the frontal lobe of the brain when you suffer a traumatic emotional event such as the sudden loss of a loved one? I believe "storm" is part of the name. I believe Dr. XXXXXXX addressed this disorder on one of his programs.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depressive stress storm

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I think you are talking about a 'Depressive stress storm'.In the same, one may have a sudden offset of emotions, may not feel love or happiness.

Hope that helps.If you have further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I'm sure this is not a mental illness and I'm wondering what is the best type of therapy and therapist to treat this condition. There are so many different categories of therapists, it is confusing. Any recommended readings? Is the therapy the same for all ages/ Thanks you for any guidance you can give me!
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Sometimes 'Depressive stress storm' can be a manifestation of secondary causes like 'atypical seizures'.MRI Brain and an EEG may help in the diagnosis.

If no secondary cause is detected,counselling by a Psychiatrist can be of help.Of greater help however, will be making lifestyle changes-healthy eating, physical exercises on a routine basis,meditation/yoga.

For now, I suggest that the initial visit to a Neurologist would be suitable.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist