How fast do symptoms of over hydration show themselves? I

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: How fast do symptoms of over hydration show themselves? I drank about 64 ounces of water in about 4 hours.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Within a few hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Water is quickly absorbed in the stomach and small intestine where it then goes into the bloodstream and then to the rest of the body’s cells. So the effect of an increased water load would be apparent within just a few hours. 64 ounces is a little less than two liters, so as long as you don't have any heart issues or kidney issues, I wouldn’t expect that it will not have much of an effect from over-hydration, such as swelling in the legs or difficulty breathing from fluid in the lungs. Most likely you will only notice an increased urine output.

I hope that helps, and answers your question, if you have any other questions about any of that I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 18 minutes later
My urine has also been totally clear. How long before my urine output will go back to normal? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In about 1 day

Detailed Answer:
Your urine is clear because your kidneys are trying to get rid of the excess water, so your urine is mostly just water. If you stop drinking a lot of water, your urine should return to a yellow color within 1 day. If you continue to drink a lot of water, it will remain clear. But clear urine is a sign of being adequately hydrated, so I would consider it a good thing; it should not be too dark.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj