How fast do symptoms of over hydration show themselves? I
Within a few hours
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Water is quickly absorbed in the stomach and small intestine where it then goes into the bloodstream and then to the rest of the body’s cells. So the effect of an increased water load would be apparent within just a few hours. 64 ounces is a little less than two liters, so as long as you don't have any heart issues or kidney issues, I wouldn’t expect that it will not have much of an effect from over-hydration, such as swelling in the legs or difficulty breathing from fluid in the lungs. Most likely you will only notice an increased urine output.
I hope that helps, and answers your question, if you have any other questions about any of that I would be glad to discuss it with you further.
In about 1 day
Your urine is clear because your kidneys are trying to get rid of the excess water, so your urine is mostly just water. If you stop drinking a lot of water, your urine should return to a yellow color within 1 day. If you continue to drink a lot of water, it will remain clear. But clear urine is a sign of being adequately hydrated, so I would consider it a good thing; it should not be too dark.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining