How effective is gain lean muscle weight to increase weight?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I am a thin guy weighing around 146 lbs. I tried to gain lean muscle weight and for that i went to gym but after a year i am still making no progress. So I thought I will use anabolic steriods like Deca Durabolin or Anavar along with some testosterone but I don't have enough knowledge about them and how to use them for bulking cycle.. Also i need to know how to come off steriods safely and if their any test and precautions shall i take before or after i take steriods.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
taper steroids slowly

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your query.
I think I would be able to help you.

First, it would be a good idea to meet up with a doctor for reducing steroids. There are many possible side effects. However, in case you want to reduce the dose on your own, know that it has to be done very slowly. I am not sure about the exact dose that you are taking or for how long.
So let me know those details so I can tell you that detail more accurately.

Also, for gaining weight, the tests need to be done before starting the steroids. Was any test done for you?

Please contact me for further information with the details requested.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal

PS: If you haven't started steroid yet, I am against taking steroid without supervision.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 40 minutes later
Sir, I have not taken any steroids yet and no test has been done.But would like to know about the tests and how to take steroids safely.. also name of steroid for bulking. And quantity to take them..
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid steroids as far as possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good you have not taken any steroids.
As I said, there are other causes that prevent gain of weight.
We should check these causes first.

We should check our your Fasting blood sugar, PP blood sugar, thyroid profile (FT3, FT4, TSH). These are the basic tests. With this , we should also check the Hb, Lipid profile and ACTH levels.

Once the tests are done, we can consider steroids. Till then I would not suggest them. They have too many side effects that you should consider as well.

Have you been told about side effects of steroidal medicines?

Please feel free to contact me for further information.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal.