How effective is Postinor-2 in preventing pregnancy?

Posted on Thu, 21 Apr 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: HELLO, my partner and I had sex last night, and the condom broke when he ejaculated inside me. then after 4 hours, I took Postinor 2. If i happen to be ovulated when the intercourse happened, how effective is Postinor 2 that I consumed worked and prevent from pregnancy? and what is the indicator to know the postinor has worked out? please kindly advise. looking forward to hear very soon. thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Highly effective. Less than 1% chance of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Postinor-2 is an emergency contraceptive pill and effective more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy if taken within first 24 hrs.

You have taken the pill within 4 hrs of sex and its effectiveness will be HIGHEST in preventing pregnancy. However, there will be very minimal chance of pregnancy (less than 1%) if you did sex during your high fertile period.

You will get a withdrawal bleeding within 5-7 days due to effect of the pill and it will be initial response that pill is worked (though NOT definite as it varies).

I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test after 2 weeks if you involved in sexual intercourse in the middle of the cycle. It will be worthwhile.

Hope, it helps for your information. Practice safe sex in future. Good luck.

Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist