How effective are statin drugs?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Cholesterol
Question: What is the latest conclusions regarding the safety and effectiveness of statin drugs?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Latest conclusions for statin safety&effectiveness Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing your concern. Statin drugs are one of the drug-groups used to lower cholesterol. Their main action is to inhibit the HMG-CoA reductase, thus, leading to less cholesterol produced by the liver. It is used together with lifestyle and diet changes to optimize lipid profile results. According to recent studies regarding the side effects of statins, FDA is asking attention for statins risks. WWW.WWWW.WW Such drugs are responsible for the severe side effects on muscles, liver injury, memory loss and increasing the chances for developing type 2 diabetes. If you are on statin drugs, I'd suggest to look for muscle problems (weakness, fatigue) and to keep monitoring your liver function and blood sugar levels, record the results for future reference. All the best! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T