Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can severe pain in the hip, back, knee, shin and ankle along with walking difficulty be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 876 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My husbands having severe pain in his hip, back, knee, shin and ankle on one side. He has difficulty standing straight. Holding things in front of himself isn't possible. Tomorrow through Monday he is going out of town but won't be able to function very well. Wondering if we can get a script for a muscle relaxer to help him make it through the weekend and easy part of the week. Once he returns he will be off to see a doctor. Think it's sciatica.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please follow the advice and observe how he stays...

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxxXXXX,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I've gone through your query and understand your concerns for your husband,

First of all, don't let him exert at all, and just sit/lie down for the time being... Instead of only Ibuprofen, you may give him analgesics PARACETAMOL (Tylenol) 650mg three times daily and Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily in between (after some food) for the next 2-3 days and observe how he stays...Painkillers may cause some hyperacidity/gastric irritation, to prevent this, he can also take an antacid (eg. Omeprazole or Prilosec 20mg once daily for the time being)...

Also, continue alternate hot-cold compression for a quick relief, additionally you can also apply Diclofenac Spray over the affected region twice to thrice daily (just apply gently and do not massage)...

This should take care of the pain for the time being.. If despite this, pain doesn't relief, then you can visit the nearest ER for a prompt check-up and stronger pain-killers (please note that muscle-relaxants are strictly prescription based medications and beyond the scope of the online medical forum). However, with the above-mentioned measures, I'd expect the pain to relieve within a while.

If it still doesn't improve then a quick visit to the nearest ER will facilitate with the stronger analgesics.

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on