How can severe hip pain be treated?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on 6 days ago in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: This is the fourth time I have put this in your driving me crazy I am suffering from excruciating hip pain so much so I think did it came on suddenly yesterday and is now reach the level of intolerable pain throughout my hip but ox I hamstring and Lower leg
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Could be sciatica.

Detailed Answer:

The way you have described the pain, To me, it seems to be a sciatica pain. Sciatica is the pain that starts from the hip and goes down the leg.

Now we have to find the cause - mostly this pain is due to pressure on nerves in the spinal canal. The diagnosis in most cases is confirmed by MRI.

I suggest you take painkillers, muscle relaxants and physiotherapy.

Bed rest for a few days may help. Sometimes if the pressure is too much, you may not get adequate relief and in this case, you should either visit ER on taking an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana