How can red nasal mucus production post CPAP machine usage be eliminated?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: For 9 years I have used a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Often it would irritate my sinuses since the air was pushed through my nose, and in the morning I would blow my nose and get red-colored mucus. I have recently obtained an oral appliance in order to eliminate the irritation but I often still get red-colored mucus first thing in the morning. It usually clears up to a light yellow color within one hour. I also swim in a chlorinated pool 2 to 3 times per week. What can I do to support healing of my sinuses?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pathophysiology explained. The key lies in keeping the mucosa hydrated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. CPAP machine generates a constant amount of pressure. This pressure is faced by the nasal mucosa (the thin layer of cells that overlies the inner aspect of the nasal cavity). The source of the reddish mucus is possibly the nasal mucosa itself and not necessarily the sinuses. The constant flow of air dessicates (makes dry) the nasal mucosa and thus leads to the bleeding. The solution therefore lies in hydration of the mucosa. This can be done by providing periodic breaks to the CPAP and applying saline nasal drops. Another option is to use nebulisation with normal saline. No other solution would help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 16 hours later
Thank you! I will follow your instructions.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back if you ever have any health related query in the future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee