How can persistent cold and cough be treated?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello! I am just checking out my lingering cold symptoms in light of all the sickness going on. I have no fever, I sound congested but it is not bad and a very stubborn cough that is sometimes productive. I think I just have a very stubborn cold.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation would be the mainstay of treatment.

I have gone through the details and understand your concern.

Most often such symptoms are due to a viral infection which usually also has an allergic component. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. Tablet Montair LC (Monteleukast + Levocetirizine) is a prescription medicine which should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be used instead.

You need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee