Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

How can memory loss due to seizure disorder be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2838 Questions
my wife of 71 yo suffered a grande mal seizure 7 mos ago. She has recovered her physical abilities for the most part. She is in a nursing home with 24 hr. care mainly for safeguard against falling and bathroom help. She uses a walker to get around. She lost her memory of the last three years living in another city. Her memory beyond three years ago is fair to good. What can I do to help her?
Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The cause should be found first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In order to help your wife, is necessary to have a correct diagnosis first about the causative condition.

Amnesia may be caused by ischemic events in certain brain areas, even small ones, so, an evaluation with brain MRI and/or PET scan is necessary for this purpose.

Some antiepileptic drugs also may cause amnesia as an adverse effect, so, this possibility should be considered too.

Finally, neuropsychological tests are necessary to assess all the cognitive functions of your wife, not only memory.

After such evaluation that should be guided by a Neurologist we can have correct answers about the cause of your wife issues and after that should be clear what to do to help her.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor