How can a painful lump on the back be treated?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: my grandson has a lump on his back back about the size of a quarter on the left side around his waist.
He has been to a orthopedic Doctor because he thought it was his back. They sent him home with pain pills..
When he showed his mother she pressed on the lump and a paim shot thru his whole body and he got sick to his stomach. He then went to the emergency room and they sent him home with another RX. Nobody has taken any blood work or an xray. What do you suggest
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

A number of reasons

Dear Ma'am , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but this could be due to a number of causes and i would like to see a photo of the lump to be able to guide you better.. however , this could be due to skin condition as lipoma or subcutaneous abcess or renal condition as hydronephrosis or renal abcess or possible an intestinal condition as lymphoma or colonitis . I would recommend that he gets a ct scan or an ultrasound to detect the origin of the lump. I hope you find this helpful.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad