Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

How can a bruise on the right shin be treated?

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 15855 Questions
For about 2 weeks, my right shin is sore to touch. Its about a 1-2 inch spot that hurts on shin bone. It feels like a bruise is there, but there is no visible bruise or swelling there. It does not hurt when I walk, run, exercise, etc. No pain when I bear weight on it and no aching. It only hurts when I put pressure on this spot. Is this shin splints? I used to get them when I was younger (I'm 31 now), but I thought shin splints would hurt when I exercise as well? What's confusing me is that there is only pain when I put pressure on the spot. Im also worried its something more serious (bone cancer). I just had back xrays a couple weeks ago and don't want more unless it's absolutely necessary. Ugh so over this. Anyone know what it could be?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Lump
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Osteitis, periosteitis needs Ortho opinion and investigations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Noted the history well and understood your concerns.
You used to get tenderness on shin when you were younger and now you are getting this for the last 2 weeks.
The commonest causes I can think about tender spot on the tibia - shin are as follows:
Low grade osteitis of front portion of tibia.
Inflammation under the periosteum.
These problems cause only tenderness and rarely pain on its own.
This can be diagnosed by the following ways:
Examination by an Orthopedic Surgeon.
High resolution X-rays/ CT scan/ MRI with the Radiologist being told what to look for as the changes are minute and noticeable only if the Radiologist knows what to look for. This will also rule out Cancer that you are worried about or any other disease or disorder.
Also get bone density, Vitamin D and calcium levels checked.
Since there is no pain and no hindrance to any activity there is no specific treatment unless proved as mentioned above.
Shin splints are painful on movements as you know.
Please give follow-up after clinical evaluation and investigations.

I hope this answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor