Suggest treatment for pain in the patellar tendon

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My patellar tendon hurts when it's cold, specifically around the area on top of the shin. It’s been bothering me for a few years.
That specific area hurts when I run for a long time. And it's only my right knee. I can feel that the tendon is slightly larger than my left one. The left one never hurts.
After exercise, the tendon hurts when I put pressure on it and i would like to know if there’s a treatment for this.
The pain I experience is a throbbing pain.
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be mild inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
The pain at the site of tendon insertion can be due to an overuse injury in the area or a shin splint. The injured tendon and the bone covering (the periosteum) becomes inflamed.

I advise you to-

1. Take rest. It plays a key role in decreasing pain and inflammation.

2. Stop doing the activity that causes the problem, at least until the symptoms are under control.

3. Apply cold packs and take anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin to calm pain and inflammation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in the patellar tendon 9 minutes later
Would adding cold packs help, when being in the cold triggers the pain as well?I play a lot of soccer so I do believe it is an overuse injury. Since I experience this pain with physical activity, is there anything I can do to make this easier for me in the future ? Is there anything other than anti inflammatory medication that you can recommend?

Brief Answer:
Rest is needed for healing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can do a hot compress apply a local muscle relaxant gel provide rest to the area and use a pair of knee supports to provide an extra support to the area for better healing.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.