Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pain in the patellar tendon

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10704 Questions
My patellar tendon hurts when it's cold, specifically around the area on top of the shin. It’s been bothering me for a few years.
That specific area hurts when I run for a long time. And it's only my right knee. I can feel that the tendon is slightly larger than my left one. The left one never hurts.
After exercise, the tendon hurts when I put pressure on it and i would like to know if there’s a treatment for this.
The pain I experience is a throbbing pain.
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be mild inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain at the site of tendon insertion can be due to an overuse injury in the area or a shin splint. The injured tendon and the bone covering (the periosteum) becomes inflamed.

I advise you to-

1. Take rest. It plays a key role in decreasing pain and inflammation.

2. Stop doing the activity that causes the problem, at least until the symptoms are under control.

3. Apply cold packs and take anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin to calm pain and inflammation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain in the patellar tendon 9 minutes later
Would adding cold packs help, when being in the cold triggers the pain as well?I play a lot of soccer so I do believe it is an overuse injury. Since I experience this pain with physical activity, is there anything I can do to make this easier for me in the future ? Is there anything other than anti inflammatory medication that you can recommend?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rest is needed for healing.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You can do a hot compress apply a local muscle relaxant gel provide rest to the area and use a pair of knee supports to provide an extra support to the area for better healing.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor