question-icon

How can I manage major depressive disorder with psychotic features when medicine is not helping?

Posted on 2 days ago
Question: Hi I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder with psychotic features and have been taking medication for it and it has worked well for months but recently I’ve experienced depressed symptoms ie uncontrollable crying and have had delusions that someone was trying to control my brain does this mean my medicine isn’t working?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It means there is need to review diagnosis and treatment

Detailed Answer:

The recurrence of depressive symptoms and paranoid ideas indicates that the diagnosis need to be reviewed along with treatment.

The paranoid ideas do occur in depression with psychotic features but emergence of paranoid ideas after months of treatment also makes out possibility of psychosis as possible diagnosis in compare to depression with psychotic features.

It also holds true that the medication stopped working after months of success but the above possibility is more likely.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar (10 minutes later)
I missed a few doses of medicine could this explain what happened?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes it can explain

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Missing even the two days dose or more can explain the above symptoms. This shows that the depression was under control with medication and relapsed due to poor compliance with medication.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar (1 hour later)
How long would you say after going back on the medication will it take to stabilize out again?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
One to two weeks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

It generally takes atleast one to two weeks to observe significant effect on depressive symptoms.

Although full effect may take four to six weeks.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist